Founded: The land was first settled around 1794. The town of Pitcher was formed from parts of the towns of German and Lincklaen in 1827. The size of Pitcher was increased in 1833 with an additional portion taken from Lincklaen.
Hamlets within the town: Chandler Corners, Hydeville, North Pitcher, Pitcher Springs, Ufford Corners, Union Valley and Waldron Corners.
Named after: The town is named after Nathaniel Pitcher, the eighth governor of New York.
Current population: 803 (2010 U.S. Census)
Notable people: Pitcher native Jethro A. Hatch (1837-1912) was the first physician in Kentland, Ind., and a congressman from Indiana’s 10th district. His family moved to Illinois in 1847. He was the first physician to locate in Kentland in 1861 and practiced until 1862, when he was an assistant surgeon of the 36th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment. He served as a member of the Indiana House of Representatives (1872-1873). Hatch was elected as a Republican to the 54th Congress (March 4, 1895 to March 3, 1897), serving Indiana’s 10th congressional district. He was not a candidate for renomination in 1896. He returned to Kentland and resumed the practicing medicine.
Interesting fact: Pitcher Springs was once a popular vacation spot in New York as a spa at the springs.
Industry past: S. O. Newton manufactured pitchforks and farm tools in North Pitcher.
Industry present: Barton Industries produces superior quality products, ranging from landing gear components and gyroscope housings to high flow gas systems for both the aerospace and automotive industries.