Plymouth Historical Society
Founded: Settlement in Plymouth began around 1794. It was then formed from the town of Norwich in 1806. Plymouth was known for many years as Frankville, so called because of the early French settlers there.
Hamlets within the town: Kirk, Heady’s Corners, Plymouth Reservoir, Sherburne Four Corners, South Plymouth and Stewart Corners.
Current population: 1,804 (2010 U.S. Census)
Notable people: George E. Cook (1865-1930) was an impressionist artist who traveled across America and Europe painting and selling his art in many galleries, most works being oil on canvas. Adelaine Cook, George’s sister, sung opera in America and Europe as well. The two siblings resided in Thornbrook Hall, on Country Club Road in Plymouth.
Interesting facts: There was a plank road from Norwich to South Otselic built in 1835 and discontinued in 1870. There was an armory in the village near where the school now stands. This contained one cannon. At one time, Plymouth had a select school taught by A. B. Stewart, father of Miss Marcia Stewart. There were two stores, two blacksmith shops, a large tannery, a cooper shop, an egg packing business and a place where coffins were made in a shop across from Lower Cemetery. There was a dam in the creek and a waterwheel to turn machinery to make coffins. Also, a wool carding and cloth dressing business from 1805-1810. Col. Walker of Utica owned a large tract of land of which Plymouth was a part. He was an Englishman and was captain of the 1st New York Regiment in the War of 1812.
Industry past: There were five different cheese factories, one in Plymouth village which took care of the milk from 800 cows, one at Kirk (300 cows), one in South Plymouth (300 cows), one on South Hill (250 cows) and one at Heady’s Corners (300 cows).
Industry present: Agriculture continues to influence the economy of Plymouth.