Hamlets within the town: East German, German Four Corners and German Five Corners
Named after: U.S. Senator Obadiah German, the original land owner
Current population: 370 (2010 U.S. Census)
Notable people: Obadiah German was born on April 22, 1766 in Amenia, N.Y. He was admitted to the bar in 1792, and commenced practice in Norwich. He was a member of the New York State Assembly in 1798-1799, 1804-1805, and again 1807-1809. In 1809, he was elected a U.S. Senator from New York, and served from March 4, 1809 to March 3, 1815. German was known as a critic of the lack of military preparations made in advance of the War of 1812, and voted against the declaration of war. In 1812, German was one of the founding trustees of Hamilton College in Clinton. He was the first judge of the Chenango County Court (1814-1819). He was also a state militia officer, eventually becoming a major general. Supporting DeWitt Clinton’s Erie Canal project, German took part in planning and overseeing its construction after being appointed state commissioner of public works in 1817. German returned to the Assembly in 1819 as a member of the Clintonian faction of the Democratic-Republican Party and was chosen to serve as speaker. Afterwards, he resumed the practice of law. German became a Whig when that party was organized. He died on Sept. 24, 1842 in Norwich.
Interesting fact: In 1869, German contained a Free Will Baptist Church, a schoolhouse, a store, a marble shop, a hotel, and nine dwellings with a total town population of 43 people.
Industry past: Henry S. Edgerton was a long rifle manufacturer two miles east of the hamlet of German.
Industry present: Agriculture plays a major role in the economy of German.