Founded: The land was first settled around 1796. Lincklaen was formed from the town of German in 1823. Parts of the town were removed to form the town of Pitcher, once in 1827 and again in 1833.
Hamlets within the town: Burdick Settlement, Lincklaen Center, Mariposa and Rhode Island.
Named after: Col. John Lincklaen, the former proprietor of the township and agent of the Holland Land Company.
Current population: 396 (2010 U.S. Census)
Notable people: In 1875, Isaac Smith, Eri Johnson and Oliver Clark were hop farmers.
Interesting fact: Mud Creek is an important stream flowing southward through the town, first to the Otselic and Tioughnioga rivers, then on to the Chenango River, which is part of the watershed of the Susquehanna River flowing to Chesapeake Bay.
Industry past: Both hop and dairy farming were instrumental in the past of Lincklaen.
Industry present: Agriculture still plays a major role in the economy of Lincklaen.