Founded: In 1791, Benjamin Hovey, purchaser of a large tract on either side of the Chenango River, built a cabin near what is now Fort Hill Park in the center of the village of Oxford. Twelve families settled that year and 46 more the next year, 1792.
Hamlets within the town: Brackett Lake, Cheshireville, Coventry Station, Ingraham Corners, Northrups Corners, Oxford Station, Puckerville Corners, South Oxford and Walker Corners.
Named after: Oxford, Mass.
Current population: 3,901 (2010 U.S. Census)
Notable people: Barnum Brown (1873-1963), commonly referred to as Mr. Bones, was an American paleontologist. He discovered the first documented remains of a Tyrannosaurus rex during his career. He is buried in Oxford. Theodore Burr came to Oxford in 1792. In 1800 he built the first stringer bridge across the Chenango River in Oxford. Around 1804, Burr built the first “sizable bridge” crossing New York’s Hudson River, at Waterford, N.Y. He built nearly every bridge that crossed the Susquehanna River from Binghamton to Maryland in those days. His successes made him the most distinguished architect of bridges in the country. Burr was awarded a U.S. patent for his arch and truss bridge design. His home is now the Oxford Memorial Library.
Interesting fact: Oxford lost some of its territory when the town of Guilford was created in 1813, and the town of Coventry was formed in 1843.
Industry past: The Shirt Company was a large employer from 1907-1909, when it merged with the Utica Skirt Company. The Oxford Basket Works were moved to Oxford in 1890. Some baskets, like the peach and grape, could be produced at a rate of 1,200-1,500 per day. The factory closed after a fire in the early 1930s.
Industry present: Blueox Energy can be traced back to the 1940s, when it started as a coal business. Purchased by several local businessmen over the years, Blueox continues to sell fuel across New York.